Monday, September 22, 2008
I did this.
See, heres what happened. I was trying to be a good mother and boil the tops for Hannah's sippy cups since they had been back and forth to daycare and thus could be declared hazardous objects of biological warfare. I put them in a pan full of water, turned on the stove, and went about my business starting the laundry and other motherly-type duties. Then the phone rang. And it was Dean!! Naturally when Dean calls the rest of the world comes to a screeching halt, I usually go to my room and lay on my bed while we chat.
We had probably been talking ten or fifteen minutes when I very suddenly remembered there was something on the stove.
I ran out to the kitchen only to be greeted by a large cloud of billowing black smoke. The water had all boiled away and the tops were now seconds from bursting in to flames. I grabbed the pan and stuck it in the sink and turned the water on and I think I said something like "Oh shit I almost caught the kitchen on fire!!" All Dean heard was "fire" and he was saying "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER IS?!?!" Which, I did not. But luckily nothing was actually on fire, there was just tons of smoke. I opened the back door and the window above the sink to let it out, I couldn't use the over-the-stove hood thing because sadly it is approximately 100 years old and doesn't work.
So the major crisis of burning the house down was narrowly averted. Whew. The kitchen still stinks though. Theres nothing quite like the stench of freshly melted plastic. Today I have to go out and buy new sippy cups. And a new pan.
And maybe I should find out where I keep the fire extinguisher.